Saturday, August 4, 2007

Re: Tully Casting Announcements... Yeah, about that...

(A podium set before a large ambiguous waving flag. Joshua William Gelb appears in supplication to his blog readers. He reads off the teleprompter)

Aren’t there enough empty promises in the world? Enough meaningless motions and consequently enough low expectations? Must my own be added to the already oppressive collective?

(With hands held high ala Frank Langella ala Dick Nixon)

My dear blog readers, last week I made a promise to you. I promised, without fail, complete Tully casting announcements in the forthcoming issue of this director’s blog. I made a promise to you -- Yes, you! … And you! … Maybe even you! -- But it was a promise I had no right to make, as this week I am unable to fulfill said promise. There will be no casting announcements today.

(Communal disappointment)

Of course, that’s not to say we aren’t cast; nor does it say that we don’t have a friggin’ awesome cast at that. But…

(Joshua William Gelb scoffs)

Mr. Michael “Producer” Height has held conference with our esteemed “promotion” team and, apparently, the general consensus is: this humble “director’s blog” is not “high profile” enough on which to initially “reveal” our “fast-breaking news,” since such an “announcement” on such a “trivial” “site” may only “damage” our “place” “in” the “coming” “news cycle” “.”

(Joshua William Gelb folds his arms and briefly pouts)

That’s not to say I’m bitter about this unforeseen censoring. I’m not. Really. No really, I’m not. Because I see this as an opportunity -- a rare but welcome opportunity for me to take the time to talk to you, and I mean really talk to you, about the New York Musical Theatre Festival and, in particular, about our musical, Tully (In No Particular Order).

So let’s start at the beginning. Our inspiration: Catullus.

The Roman poet, praenomen “Gaius,” gentilicium “Valerius,” cognomen “Catullus” was born in Sirmio on Lake Garda, in the province Verona, around 84 B.C. to a wealthy military family. Certain sources dispute the date of his birth, saying he was born in 81 B.C., but in looking at the Suetonius and checking the dates with Caesar’s commentaries --

(Exeunt Joshua William Gelb, pursued by bear)

Next Week: Catullus: the adolescent years. His friends, his family, and the girl next-door named Winnie Cooper.

No comments: